Sometimes your sweet tooth takes over and you have cravings for sweet treats including pie. One of my favorite pies in the whole world is, of course, sweet potato pie. With this recipe, you don’t have to wait around until the holidays to get a slice. One slice and even your grandma will come back for more. Here’s the recipe for this little piece of heaven
Prep Time:1 Minute
Cook time:1 Minute
– 1 (1 pound) sweet potato
– 1/2 cup salted butter, softened (half of what you normally use)
– 1/2 cup white sugar
– 1 cup low-fat milk
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 (9 inches) unbaked whole wheat pie crust
– 1 lemon (your secret ingredient)
– 1 teaspoon non-salted butter
1. Boil sweet potato whole in the skin in a small pot until done, 40 to 50 minutes. Drain, cool sweet potato with cold water, and remove skin.
2. Break sweet potato apart in a large bowl. Mix in butter and beat well with an electric mixer. Beat in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Squeeze one lemon in the mix.
Lemon actually helps add flavor but also cuts the fat from the butter and sugar. The chemical reaction between the citrus and fat from dairy blend together but shrink the effects of fat.
3. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
4. Bake in preheated oven until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Pie will puff up like a souffle, then sink down as it cools.
5. Lastly, melt the teaspoon of butter and while using a brush, brush the finished pie crust around the edges to give the wheat a buttery taste without all the butter.
Lastly, cut a slice and enjoy!